Risotto is a luxurious dish that is worth making - but why not make a large batch so that you can freeze the leftovers for another day? Serve it on it's own for a delicious vegetarian meal, or add some braised beef or salmon on top for a heartier meal.
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- large shallot, minced
- 1 Portobello mushroom, sliced
- 1.5 cups Arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- In a medium pot heat the vegetable broth to a low simmer.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, on medium heat, add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the minced shallot and sliced mushrooms. Stir until softened (2-3 minutes).
- Add the rice to toast for 2 minutes, continue to stir.
- Pour in the wine and cook down to half the volume (2-3 minutes, stirring continuously).
- Add one ladle of the simmering broth, adding broth one ladle at a time as the rice absorbs the liquid. After the fifth ladle taste the rice for texture. If still undercooked continue to add broth.
- When all of the liquid is mostly absorbed remove the pan from heat to add the cheese and parsley. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with additional cheese.