Mac n' Cheese Bacon Bites
Homemade creamy macaroni and cheese is topped with bacon and turned into a yummy appetizer for your next gathering. Try it with a variety of toppings - sundried tomatoes, ham, parmesan, fresh basil etc. (adapted from chef-in-training.com mac and cheese bites). Freezing the mixture before baking helps them hold their shape.
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 100g crispy bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot combine the butter and flour on medium low heat. Once the mixture is smooth, add the milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar, the cream cheese, salt and chipotle to the pot. Stir until all of the cheeses are melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cooked pasta and beaten egg, stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before filling 2 Smart Cookie trays (if not using The Smart Cookie, you can cook right away in a preheated 400 degree F oven using greased mini muffin tins).
- Fill each tray only to the top (do not overfill or the tray will not close), sprinkle with the remaining cheese and top with bacon.
- Store in the freezer until needed.
- To bake from frozen place in a preheated 425 degree F oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes or until the sides are golden brown.